Are you interested in getting in shape all while having fun? Martial arts could be the perfect outlet for you! It’s combat fitness for adults (but we also offer children and family classes too!). If you want to learn about combat-fitness and self-defense, you’re in the right place. No matter your skill or experience level, we welcome you to come train at our top notch martial arts club.
There are many different types of martial art classes that we offer (and don’t worry, none of them require you to go on a crazy caveman diet!). At our facility, we’ve got something for everyone. Join the exclusive club of people who practice martial arts for fitness, one that Ronda Rousey and Connor MacGregor are a part of.
Did you know Pierre Trudeau was a judoka? Tina Tak has personally taught Prime Minister Mulroney and Justin Trudeau’s children. You can be assured you’re receiving this same level of top notch training with us. We take pride in the wide selection of classes offered for adults.
HISTORY OF TAE KWON DO
Tae kwon do is a korean martial art that originated in the 1940s. Although it is considered a ‘newer’ martial art, the techniques used to develop it are ancient. The artists that created taekwondo blended key elements from karate and Chinese and Korean martial arts. This sport is deeply rooted in traditional practices. Since its introduction to the Olympics in 1988, it has become popularized in North American culture. Many martial arts centres choose to honour the traditions of this sport to this day.
If you’re wondering what sets taekwondo apart from other martial art sports its that it is characterized by speed and agility. Those who practice it today excel due to these skills. Immerse yourself in this rich culture and take part in one of our classes today!
WHAT TO EXPECT IN A MARTIAL ARTS CLASS
Joining a martial arts class for the first time can be a bit intimidating, especially if you’ve never done it before! No need to worry, at our facility we are open and accept all skill levels. So don’t be shy to sign up!
In all martial art sports, there is traditional garb to wear. We think it really enhances the experience and helps you feel comfortabel to move in all of the different stances and positions. Did you know that in taekwondo specifically there are rankings in the belt colours? Your first belt will be white, but as you move up the rankings and as you develop your skills, you will have many different ones of all colours of the rainbow!
Rankings vary from centre to centre, and from region to region, however most have between 8 to 12 ranks. Don’t worry, if you have any questions, feel comfortable to get in touch with us so we can clarify! The goal for each class is to develop or refine their martial arts skills all while enjoying the combat-fitness aspects of it. You can expect this activity to clear your mind and help your body reach new levels of intensity then relaxation. This really improves the feeling of overall wellness in the body.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF MARTIAL ARTS TRAINING
Not only is taekwondo a fun activity for adults, its also great for kids! Whether you are a beginner or an expert, the training is safe and helps you stay in shape. Develop your core defense skills (and improve your self-defense skills too!). Did you know there are many benefits to combat-fitness? Check out a short list we made below:
- Instills and reinforces self-discipline
- Helps you with concentration and improves focus
- Increases your self-confidence
- Helps you feel comfortable to defend yourself
- Increases mental and physical stability (increases stabilization of core muscles)
- Helps clear the mind, helps dissipate stress
- Lose weight and gain muscle
- Is an aerobic and anaerobic activity, making it great for your cardiovascular system
- Increases your awareness (mental and physical)
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TAEKWONDO AND OTHER MARTIAL ARTS?
One of the main differences between taekwondo and other martial arts is that it is characterized by head-high kicks, quick movements, jumping and grappling. It really is a full-body engaging sport. If you’re looking to bump up your mixed martial arts (MMA) skills, this could be just the outlet you need! Build your confidence and feel more comfortable in your self-defense skills. If you’re looking to become more agile and swift this is it!
About the coach
Master Ken Blackburn is an Award-winning instructor, acclaimed as the top Taekwondo instructor in Ottawa by a world renowned 9th Dan Grand Master and WTF Executive council Member. He has been teaching Taekwondo in Ottawa for over 30 years. He has achieved his 5th Dan Kukkiwon and is Ottawa's only 6th Dan Song Moo Kwang Black Belt as well as the only Black Belt Instructor to teach Hapkido in Ottawa that is officially certified through the Korean Hapkido Federation.
Master Ken discovered Taekwondo at a young age, during a difficult period in his life. After spending a number of his formative years being bullied, he was heading down a troubled path which included dropping out of school. Something about the sport resonated with him, and he was able to use Taekwondo as a vehicle through which he could change his path. He fostered those intangible qualities – strength, courage, discipline and an indomitable spirit – to turn his life around and find great success as a medaled athlete, an award-winning instructor and a pillar in the community.
Since he has begun training, Master Ken has enjoyed a number of successes as a competitor and as an instructor, coaching many students to victories on the provincial, national and international stages. However, he has consistently maintained the philosophy that Taekwondo – and martial arts in general – must be more than just a sport. It has been the one steadying influence in his life, and is the means by which his students develop the qualities that inspire them to achieve their best, regardless of age or skill level. The sum total of his life experience as an athlete and in his personal life give him a unique perspective on how to motivate his students to excellence on the training floor and through all other facets of their lives.
Today, Master Ken enjoys a long-standing relationship with his students, who are in many ways part of an ever-growing martial arts family.
- Ottawa's only 6th Dan Song Moo Kwang Black Belt; 5th Dan Kukkiwon.
- Canterbury/Alta Vista Founding Taekwondo Instructor Celebrating over 25 Years in the Community.
- Over 30 years coaching, motivating and working with children and youth.
- Over 30 years teaching WTF Taekwondo.
- Official VIP to Taekgyeon Championships; Gwan Ju, Korea. 2007
- Official Delegate to Hanmadang (Taekwondo World Breaking/Demonstration Competition); SuWon, Korea. 2007
- Official Delegate 2nd Official WTF World Patterns competition; Incheon, Korea. 2007
- Special VIP guest: world famous Korean Tigers Demonstration Team; Seoul, Korea. 2007
- Instructor to Canadian Military Personal, OPP and Ottawa Police Officers and Ontario Correctional officers.
- WTF Olympic Black Belt Full Contact Sparring National and Provincial Coaching Experience: Produced 2 Provincial Gold Medalists and a National Silver Medalist at the National Junior Team Trials.
- Assistant Coach Canadian Military Team Selections for World Competition (CISM). 1989-1990
World Class Taekwondo Demonstration Team Leader and Coach:
Personally responsible for all aspects of the demonstration team, including recruiting and overseeing technical development of team member, choreographing and developing each demonstration, mentoring and motivating team, and overseeing and participating in each performance. Many of the following performances have served as models and continue to influence demonstrations developed by numerous martial arts bodies:
- Canadian Museum of Civilization Sold-Out Performance Spectacle; Gatineau, Quebec. 2002
- World Taekwondo Championships Opening Ceremony; Edmonton, Alberta. 1999
- Opening Ceremony Canadian National Team Trials; Toronto, Ontario. 1997
- Gold Medal Winner Pan-Am Demonstration Team Competition competing against teams from Mexico, Guatemala, Brazil and the US. 1996
- Opening Ceremony Canadian National Team trials; Montreal, Quebec. 1996
- Opening Ceremony World Military Taekwondo Championships (CISM): RMC; Kingston, Ontario. 1992
Black Belt Competitive Experience:
- WTF Olympic Full Contact Black Belt Competition: National top 10 ranking, winning several silver medals at official provincial team trials
- Undefeated Black Belt Gold Medal Patterns (Form) Champion: Ottawa & Eastern Ontario Championships and Canadian TKD Championships. 1988-1991 & 2002
- Trained 25 years with former chief combat instructor for Korean Armed Forces.
- Currently training under international award winning Master Instructor, who competed in the 1988 Olympic Games, was a 3-time World Championship Contestant (Germany, Denmark and Spain), coached during the 1999 World Championship, is an international certified referee and a member of the Technical Committee of the World Taekwondo Federation.
- Training under 4th Dan Korean Hapkido Certified Hapkido Instructor who has performed Stunt work and fight scene choreography in a number of Hollywood films.
- Completed seminars with current UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis and double weight class world champion (only one of two) BJ Penn.
Canterbury/Alta Vista Community Support Services:
- Ottawa Food Bank Fundraising Events
- Weight Loss/Healthy Lifestyle Mentor
- Guest Speaker at Canterbury High School
- 2 time Guest Speaker to Ottawa-Carleton District School Board “Creative Leadership” conference for Vice Principals and Management.
Taekwondo - Advanced and Black Beltt
|Sat||12:00pm - 1:00pm|
Family Taekwondo - (8 yrs+)
|Thu||6:00pm - 7:00pm|
|Sat||10:00am - 11:00am|